Downers Grove, Illinois – Reported by Elite Traveler, the private jet lifestyle magazine
Born as a safari outfitter in 1962, Abercrombie & Kent is celebrating 50 years of combining luxury with adventure on a conservation safari that features Kenya’s most renowned wildlife reserves Amboseli, Laikipia and the Masai Mara. This 50th Anniversary Safari takes guests back to the birthplace of Abercrombie & Kent to experience the extraordinary wildlife, magnificent landscapes, and cultural heritage that make Kenya a magical safari destination.
Guests will be welcomed and introduced to a symbol of the country’s commitment to conservation at Daphne Sheldrick’s Elephant Orphanage. Her late husband, David Sheldrick was the first game warden of Tsavo National Park. Game drives in Amboseli reveal Kenya’s diverse habitats, from acacia woodlands to freshwater swamps, scrub brush and open plains, home to an astounding variety of wildlife, including hundreds of bird species, elephant, giraffe, zebra, lion and cheetah. The Laikipia Plateau, a private conservancy in the foothills of Mount Kenya, provides the backdrop for a Hemingway-style tented safari. Experience the romance of this inspiring wilderness where Prince William proposed to Kate Middleton. The adventure ends with the Great Migration in the Masai Mara and spectacular wildlife sightings of the Big Five.
Each day of this special anniversary safari is filled with the kind of “insider access” experiences and unexpected moments of surprise and delight that established Abercrombie & Kent’s reputation as the world’s best safari outfitter:
– A chance to adopt a young elephant at Daphne Sheldrick’s Baby Elephant Orphanage.
– Karen Blixen’s Mbogani House, the farmhouse where the author of Out of Africa lived, where you stroll through the lush garden with views of the Ngong Hills.
– A behind-the-scenes introduction to the Amboseli Elephant Research Project; the longest-running study of these fascinating animals anywhere in Africa.
– A private meeting with acclaimed wildlife documentary filmmaker and photographer Alan Root, who shares stories about his travels, along with his knowledge of how to capture the best shots on safari.
– Hot air ballooning at sunrise over the Masai Mara Game Reserve, followed by a champagne breakfast in the bush.
– Masai elders explain how a more settled existence is changing their traditional way of life.
– A chance to give something back and leave your mark in the Masai Mara by planting a tree at Sanctuary Olonana.
– Reflect on this once-in-a-lifetime safari at a farewell luncheon at the private, and very historic, Muthaiga Country Club. Filled with colonial charm and rich in East African history, it is surrounded by 15 acres of gardens on the edge of the Karura Forest.
– Private plane charters whisk you from Amboseli National Park to the Laikipia Plateau to the legendary Masai Mara, providing stunning views over the magnificent Great Rift Valley.
Abercrombie & Kent’s Fiftieth Anniversary Safari combines the most elegant – and most authentic –ways to experience Africa. Luxe Tawi Lodge is located on a private conservancy of 6,000 acres at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro, and features views of the world’s tallest freestanding mountain from every room. Return to the vintage days of Hemingway-style safaris at a private camping concession on the Laikipia Plateau, in A&K’s exclusive Mobile Tented Camp equipped with modern-day comforts, including plush beds and en suite bathrooms with hot showers and flush toilets. End your safari with an “Out of Africa” experience at Sanctuary Olonana, situated on the banks of the Mara River in the heart of Kenya’s big game country. Between game drives, relax on your private verandah overlooking the river with its resident pod of hippos or indulge in a spa treatment.