WAILEA, HI – Reported by Elite Traveler, the private jet lifestyle magazine
May 29, 2012 – The island of Maui celebrates the grand opening of a new restaurant, Alan Wong’s Amasia. Elevating the standards of cuisine, style and service, Alan Wong’s Amasia is collaboration between Chef Alan Wong, a founder of Hawaii Regional Cuisine and Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort.
Alan Wong’s Amasia is tucked inside Grand Wailea’s Japanese garden surrounded by 800 tons of rock from Mt. Fuji and a pond filled with koi and turtles. Reminiscent of a teahouse in Kyoto, the original structure was built in Japan and brought to Maui in 1990. Following a $3 million renovation, the beautifully restored restaurant features private tatami rooms, a formal dining area, a cocktail lounge, a sushi bar and a robata for grilled delicacies. The bar offers private label wines and sakes and creative cocktails inspired by its global menu.
Amasia by definition is the converging of continents. The cuisine in Alan Wong’s Amasia showcases Maui’s best bounty from land and sea, melding them with the different flavors and cooking techniques of cultures from the East and West.
“This menu is inspired by street food and cuisines from all over the globe,” said Chef Alan Wong. “Our food will be experienced in small plates and family-style sharing portions, and our restaurant features a robata grill and a sushi bar in the dining room.”
Menu items include but are not limited to:
· Dungeness crab chawanmushi, soybeans, shishito peppers
· Crispy “garlic shrimp,” citrus, sweet paprika
· Ahi chili, refried taro, “local” chips
· Chicken meatballs, coconut-ginger-lemongrass broth, pimenton oil
· Shoyu duck bun bao, hoisin Sriracha
· Kurobuta char siu baby back ribs, crispy garlic, lime
· Maui Cattle Company “cowboy” ribeye steak, Hamakua mushrooms, Hawaiian chili pepper butter
· Whole chili garlic Dungeness crab
· Kurobuta pork tenderloin, spicy miso mustard, eggplant
· Crispy “shrimp tempura,” citrus chili salt
· Sashimi salad, soy vinaigrette, wasabi
· Uni shot, yuzu ume leche de tigre
· “Ochazuke” kobujime whitefish, ume, furikake, kombucha, yukari sauce
· Crispy soft shell crab, garam masala, cilantro dipping sauce
· Lomi lomi salmon, marinated tomatoes, Maui onions, tomato water gelee