New York, New York – Reported by Elite Traveler, the Private Jet Lifestyle Magazine
In October, Prince William proposed to long-time girlfriend, Kate Middleton during a 10-day private safari in Kenya. The royal engagement happened in Rutundu, a remote retreat on the Northern slopes of Mount Kenya. Rutundu features two cedar-log cabins with a kitchen, open log fires and en-suite bathrooms. The cabins offer incredible views and the quiet setting is as peaceful, relaxing and romantic as it comes. Kenya offers a host of options for romantic getaways. From the supreme luxury of Shompole to the rustic “star beds” of Loisaba, and the anonymity of Rutundu, Kenya boasts an array of accommodations fit for a “royal engagement.” Here is our roundup of 10 magnificent properties:
1. INTO THE WILD — Loisaba Star Beds There’s nothing more romantic than being alone in the Kenya bush with your loved one, entwined in a comfortable bed wheeled out under the stars. Each Star Bed is a handcrafted wooden platform raised on stilts and partially covered with a thatched roof. The homemade “Mukokoteni” is a uniquely designed bed on wheels that enables you to be immersed in nature. Laikipiak Maasai will cook a delightful dinner and cater to your needs through the night, making the experience authentic and unforgettable.
2. THE GENUINE SAFARI EXPERIENCE — Mara Bushtops Camp Nestled in the Mara Siana Conservancy, Mara Bushtops is located close to the Mara River, a prime vantage point for the Great Migration, and boasts stunning views. Ideal for couples seeking a genuine and romantic safari experience, each luxury tent features a sunken hot tub made from local timber, indoor and outdoor showers, and incredible views of teeming wildlife.
3. THE BEACH STUNNER — The Majlis Hotel The Majlis Hotel is a privately owned boutique hotel, which faces Ras Kitau Bay and the soft murmur of the Indian Ocean waves. With 25 luxuriously appointed rooms and elegant architecture, The Majlis is an idyllic getaway for romantics seeking to explore another side of Kenya’s rich and diverse culture. The Majlis Hotel has the convenience of being close to Shela Village and Lamu Town.
4. THE HEART OF AFRICA — Ol Malo Ol Malo is an authentic hideaway in Laikipia, which uses local materials to blend seamlessly in its stunning surrounding. Each double room features its own veranda and panoramic windows with views of Mount Kenya and the tribal heartlands of the nomadic Samburu people. From horseback rides to whitewater rafting, and camel safari to cross-mountain biking, Ol Malo boasts an array of activities for couples seeking romance and adventure.
5. THE MAJESTIC ESCAPE — Sanctuary Ol Lentille Santuary Ol Lentille conveys the epitome of African luxury. Perched on the flanks of a wooded rock kopje, Sanctuary Ol Lentille features four private, full-service and fully staffed houses. From participating in community conservation programs to playing croquet or swimming in the “Horizon” pool, Sanctuary offers a range of exciting activities sure to keep the romance alive.
6. THE ELEGANT OASIS — Joy’s Camp Joy’s camp boasts 10 sumptuous tents, uniquely adorned with Boran/Somali cloth design, handmade glass and the bright fabrics of local nomadic tribes. Each tent features unparalleled views, with a private viewing deck where couples can bundle up in a blanket and watch the sun set on the rolling hills.
7. FASHIONABLE ECO-TOURISM — Shompole Shompole is an eco-conscious lodge sitting on a private conservancy overlooking sun-drenched plains, riverine forest, and volcanic mountains. Each Shompole room features a private pool where couples can relax and cool down from the hot African sun.
8. PALATIAL SETTING — Ol Donyo Wuas Ol Donyo Wuas Lodge consists of ten expansive guest suites in six stand-alone villas. Each villa features a unique design and dramatic views of the plains and Mount Kilimanjaro. The privacy and luxurious décor enables couples to bathe in complete tranquility and unparalleled comfort, while retaining an authentic bush experience.
9. BORN FREE — Elsa Kopje This classic safari lodge features eight thatched-roof cottages, which are crafted to incorporate and highlight its natural surroundings. Studded with baobab trees and incredible views, Elsa Kopje is the quintessential African escape. Named after the lioness made famous in the Oscar-winning 1966 movie “Born Free,” Elsa Kopje provides an amazing and serene backdrop for couples seeking to reenact an idyllic Hollywood romance.
10. THE RUSTIC CHARMER — Il Ngwesi Situated on the northern edge of the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy, this intimate and environmental award-winning lodge is heralded for its successful efforts to coexist with the Maasai community and to protect the endangered black rhino. The comfortably furnished bandas feature open panoramic views of the Kenya wilderness. Couples can choose to hike the slopes of Mount Kenya, visit a traditional Maasai village, meet the endangered black rhinos, or take a dip in the horizon pool.