NEW YORK, NY — In Spring 2010, The Plaza will launch a
European-inspired specialty Food Hall offering the finest fresh, prepared and gourmet foods. Created in collaboration with acclaimed chef and restaurateur Todd English and renowned architect Jeffrey Beers, The Plaza Food Hall by Todd
English will present a diverse range of quality specialty foods and prepared dishes to take away or enjoy in one of eight seating areas.
Offering cuisine in a stylish and convenient atmosphere, the Food Hall will be a culinary destination for hotel guests, area shoppers and New Yorkers, and will be the first hotel in New York to open a Food Hall concept.
States Miki Naftali, President and CEO of the Elad Group, “Since it first opened its doors, The Plaza has received international recognition for its gracious hospitality, and we are excited to be the first hotel in New York to introduce a European-style Food Hall. Chef Todd English is the perfect partner to realize
our vision of offering international fare and an abundant display of the freshest foods. Coupled with Jeffrey Beers’ stylish design, The Plaza Food Hall by Todd English will add a new chapter to The Plaza’s storied history with a bustling international marketplace.”
Though continental in inspiration, The Plaza Food Hall by Todd English will be quintessentially American in execution. Located on the Concourse Level of this historic New York landmark, the 5,400 square-foot Food Hall will be helmed by Chef Todd English and TE Food Hall LLC. Under his direction, all concepts,
menus, service details and specially created merchandise will come to life in an open, inviting space with eight stations and kitchens where visitors may choose their selections and watch as they are being freshly prepared.
* Wine Bar – Staffed by a sommelier, the wine bar will showcase diverse international and domestic selections and will offer an array of small plates and eclectic Mediterranean tapas that guests may enjoy at the seated counter.
* Cheese & Charcuterie Station – Here, guests can choose from a wide selection of artisanal and farmstead cheeses from around the world, as well as cured meats, smoked fish, caviars, and olives.
* Sushi Bar – A sushi chef will preside over full sushi and raw bar, offering an assortment of rolls, sashimi, and sushi.
* Burger Bar & Rotisserie – This station will feature American fare, burgers and made-to-order carved meat sandwiches, roast chicken with gourmet sides, etc., all prepared in an open kitchen equipped with a rotisserie and smoker.
* Asian Noodle and Dumpling Bar – This station will offer eclectic Asian wok-made udon and soba noodles, steamed and fried dumplings, as well as specialty soups for dine-in as well as take-out.
* Espresso & Tea Bar – Guests can refuel here with an array of specialty coffees and teas, which will be served alongside gourmet chocolates and freshly baked pastries.
* Brick Oven Pizza – This station will feature a variety of made-to-order pizzas as well as Chef English’s signature flatbreads baked in a stone hearth pizza oven.
* Fish and Seafood Grill – The Grill will showcase a fresh catch of the day, which can be packaged for home preparation or grilled to order in the fully equipped kitchen. Fresh select oysters and other shellfish will also be available at this station.
In addition, The Plaza Food Hall by Todd English will offer a range of international specialty foods such as olives and olive oils, vinegars, spices, gourmet coffee, teas and cocoas, artisan jams and sauces. Other merchandise offerings will include cookware, linens and home goods. The open kitchens of the
Food Hall will also serve as venues for interactive events such as cooking demonstrations, wine classes, wine and cheese events and book signings.
“I’m delighted to be collaborating with The Plaza to bring a truly unique, Food Hall concept to this landmark building and great culinary city,” said Chef Todd English. “I look forward to bringing some of the finest foods from around the world to The Plaza for guests to enjoy – whether they’re seeking a quick and delicious lunch, a leisurely glass of wine paired with cheese orcharcuterie, or a beautifully filleted fish to prepare at home.”
Designed by Jeffrey Beers International, The Plaza Food Hall by Todd English will reflect the diverse culinary inspirations it encompasses, drawing upon aesthetics of the most eclectic specialty markets throughout the world.
Materials, from the mosaic marble floor to wood paneling, ceramic backdrops and stained-glass windows will reference global architectural and culinary influences. Ultimately, the Food Hall’s design will align Chef English’s cuisine with the international classicism for which The Plaza is renowned.
The Plaza Food Hall by Todd English will be open Monday through Sunday from 7am – 9pm. For additional information please call 888-240-7775 or visit www.ThePlaza.com.