View all newsletters
Latest in Luxury - Sign up to our weekly newsletter
  1. Travel
  2. Travel News
October 22, 2012updated Feb 08, 2013

New in Peru: The Boom in Luxury Travel

By Pardhasaradhi Gonuguntla

Lima, Peru – Reported by Elite Traveler, the private jet lifestyle magazine

From all-inclusive resorts focused on family and business travel to exclusive boutique hotels, Peru is evolving into an exciting destination for a broad range of travelers. Ecotourism and the luxury market are particular areas of growth.

Tourism Director for PromPeru, Maria del Carmen de Reparaz, said:

“In the past year we have seen tremendous growth in luxury and boutique hotels. We are now able to provide a full range of options, from budget travel to high-end luxury travel.”

Throughout Peru, luxury hotels that highlight the natural beauty of Peru are opening, attracting a new demographic of wealthy international travelers.

“We are excited to see Peru make the transition from a destination known for its historic and cultural offerings, to a destination that is able to offer luxury as well,” said del Carmen de Reparaz.

Peru is enjoying new attention having seen its Amazon Region become one of the new Seven Natural Wonders of the World. Cusco, the capital of the old Inca Empire is currently the top contender for Seven Wonder Cities of the World. A marketing campaign promoting Peru also focuses on the work of archeologist, Bruno Alva, who for the last 11 years has been investigating pre-Hispanic Peruvian iconography.

Among the hotel developments in Peru, Sonesta Posada del Inca Arequipa is due to expand from its current 58 rooms to 120 rooms by the first half of 2013 with an investment of $100,000 per room. Sonesta Posada del Inca is strategically located in the center of the Arequipa’s Main Square, and caters to business and leisure travelers. Elsewhere, in April 2013 Aranwa Hotels Resorts & Spas will open its newest property, a riverside resort and spa in the Colca Canyon and Valley of Arequipa.

In other hotel news, Peru’s GHL Hotels, Quimera Holding Group has acquired Las Casitas del Colca Colombian hotel group, formerly owned by Orient-Express. Quimera HG owns 75%, while GHL owns the remaining 25% and is managing the hotel. GHL Hotels operates international hotel chains in Colombia, Panama, Ecuador, Peru and Chile.

Content from our partners
Sky High Gourmet: Qatar Executive's Impressive Dining
The Best Family-friendly Vacation Destinations in Spain
W New York - Times Square: "We Do Things Differently"

In Lima, the new Hilton Lima Miraflores will open later this year. Feature 207 guest rooms and suites, and 40 minutes from the Jorge Chavez International Airport (LIM), the hotel will include a range of meeting facilities for business and social events, as well as a restaurant, rooftop executive lounge, fitness center by Precor, heated pool and Jacuzzi.

In Barranco, exclusive boutique hotel Hotel B will open in January 2013, under the auspices of The Andean Experience Company. Located in the heart of Barranco, the hotel will honor the grandeur of the original Claude Sahut-designed mansion.

Topics in this article :
Select and enter your email address Be the first to know about the latest in luxury lifestyle. Get the latest news on hotel openings and in-depth travel guides. Get insider access to exclusive promotions and special offers from our luxury partners.
Visit our privacy Policy for more information about our services, how New Statesman Media Group may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications.
Thank you

Thank you for subscribing to Elite Traveler.

Websites in our network